" "

If you go searching for answers on how much water you need to drink each day, you will find many different opinions. There is no real formula for how much water everyone needs to drink each day. Understanding why you need to stay hydrated, though, is one key to figuring out how much water you actually need to be consuming a day. This is because factors such as your overall health, your activity levels, and where you live have an effect on your overall hydration. So what are the health benefits of staying hydrated?

Health Benefits of Drinking Water

You are made up of approximately 60% water. It is the principal component of your body. Without water, your body will be unable to function, and estimates show that within two days to a week without water you would die. So what does water do for you?

  • Water helps regulate your internal temperature
  • Protects sensitive tissues in your body
  • Helps the process of waste removal through urination, bowel movements, and perspiration
  • Lubricates and cushions your joints

Every single cell, organ, and piece of tissue in your body needs water to function, and without it, these things slowly cease to function. Without enough water, you begin to be dehydrated which saps your energy and leaves you feeling groggy and not at your best.

How much water do you need to make sure you are functioning properly?

You lose water throughout the day through a variety of means, even by breathing! This is why keeping hydrated is so important. To stay hydrated, you need to consume both beverages and foods that contain water – that’s right, consuming things like fresh fruits will help you stay hydrated!

If you live in a temperate climate and are a healthy adult with a regular level of activity, then you will need 15.5 cups (3.7 litres) of water if you are a man and you need 11.5 cups (2.7 litres) of water if you are a woman. This amount is covered under both liquids (not just water) and food. You should aim for around 20% of your fluid intake to be from food and the remaining 80% to be from various liquids (water, tea, coffee, etc.).

Eight 8-ounce Cups

The standard measurement that many people hear for how much water you should consume a day is eight 8-ounce cups. This translates to 15 cups of water, which is close to what is recommended for how much liquid a healthy, average man should drink a day. It is higher, however than how much liquid a woman needs to consume a day. It also does not take into consideration the food that we consume every day that has liquid in it.

Eight 8-ounce cups of water a day is in no way a bad goal to have. Listen to your body and adjust the amount of liquid you consume to match the needs that your body is telling you.

Outside Factors

Other factors that can influence how much water you should be drinking include exercise, your environment, and your overall health. If you exercise vigorously, live in a hot environment, are sick, or are pregnant or breastfeeding, then you will need to increase your water intake.

If you are keeping properly hydrated, then there are two big factors that will tell you that you’re doing a great job. If you have very light yellow or near colourless urine, then you have an appropriate level of hydration. Also, if you rarely become thirsty, then you are keeping adequately hydrated.

We’ll Keep You Hydrated

The team at Pure Northern Spring Water wants to help keep you hydrated. Our residential water delivery service is a great option for you to keep your body healthy. Contact us today to set up water delivery!


CALL


EMAIL


MAP